Our vision is one in which we see Waiuku College as a place of excellence. Other principles include a greater focus on learning theory, coherence and relevance to learning, inclusiveness, respect for our Treaty of Waitangi, a greater respect for diversity and the role of community as an important part of learning.
Waiuku College embraces the goal of producing 21st Century Lifelong Learners. It is an exciting time as we face the challenge of moving from the traditional blackboard and textbook teaching methods of the past, to a future where there is much greater emphasis on independent learning, self management and the acquisition of skills and attitudes.
The strategic goals of Waiuku College
- Experienced teaching staff who bring strong pedagogical knowledge and effective classroom management skills to the task of individualised learning.
- To respect and promote Tikanga Maori to improve outcomes for all students.
- A school culture where effort is expected, success is promoted and excellence is celebrated.
- To maintain a culture of mutual respect, consideration and personal responsibility.
- To maintain a positive school image and effectively communicate this to the wider community.
- Provide school facilities, equipment and learning resources that are modern and meet the ongoing needs of the school and its students.
- Provide high levels of opportunity and participation in all areas of school life.
We work hard to provide opportunities so that our students are:
Ready to learn
Ready, willing to learn and able to use skills and knowledge in appropriate ways at relevant and appropriate times with a ‘can do’ attitude.
Displaying self determination, ability to sustain interest. Persistence and perseverance despite difficulties or barriers
Relating to Others
Participating, contributing, collaborating and co-operating as a responsible member of the class.
Thinking about Learning
Thinking independently. Reflecting on and evaluating own work which will bring about improvement.
Effective Time Managers
The ability to plan, study, set goals and meet deadlines for assessment.