When I use digital devices, both at school and at home I have responsibilities and rules to follow. I agree:
- To be a safe user whenever and wherever I use that technology.
- To be responsible whenever and wherever I use technology and support others by being respectful in how I talk to and work with them and never write or participate in online bullying. This includes forwarding messages and supporting others in harmful, inappropriate or hurtful online behavior.
- To report if I feel unsafe or uncomfortable online or see a friend being unsafe or being made to feel uncomfortable by others.
- To maintain the reputation of Waiuku College and refrain from making inflammatory or rude comments about other students, staff or matters which may have arisen within Waiuku College.
When at school I agree:
To abide by the rules outlined in this document.
- To keep myself and my friends safe by not giving out personal details including full names, telephone numbers, addresses and images, protecting my password.
- To use the technology at school for learning, use the equipment properly and not interfere with the work or data of another student.
- Not to bring or download unauthorised programs or files.
- Not to go looking for rude or offensive sites.
- To remember that the content on the web is someone’s property and ask my teacher or a parent/caregiver to help me get permission if I want to use information or pictures.
- Not to attempt to install programs, games or apps on any school device.
- Not to attempt to edit any system settings.
- Not to use tools or sites that will enable me to bypass systems in place to filter or restrict access.
- I understand that my computer internet use at school can be monitored by the school.
I will talk to my teacher or an adult if:
- I need help online.
- I am not sure what I should be doing on the internet or a device.
- I come across sites that are not appropriate.
- Someone writes something I don’t like, makes me and my friends feel uncomfortable or asks me to provide information that I know is private.
- I feel that the welfare of students or staff at the Waiuku College is threatened.
When I use my laptop, netbook, mobile phone, iPod or other mobile device at school I agree to:
- Use it as only as directed by my teacher during class time.
- Be responsible for the device at all times.
- Be responsible for the power management (charging) of my device.
To this end, when using any mobile device as a phone I will:
- Keep my phone on silent during class times and only make or answer calls and messages outside of lesson times – except for specified learning purposes.
- Protect the privacy of others and never post private information about another person using SMS or other messages.
When using any mobile device as a camera I will:
- Only take photos and record sound or video when it is part of a class or lesson.
- Seek permission from individuals involved PRIOR to taking photos, recording sound or videoing them (including teachers).
- Seek written permission from individuals involved PRIOR to publishing or sending photos, recorded sound or video to anyone else or to any online space.
- Be respectful in how I talk to and work with others online and never write or participate in online bullying.
- Seek teacher permission before uploading any school or student related content to websites.
This Contract also applies to students during school excursions, camps and extra-curricular activities.
I have read and agree to follow these rules. I understand that my access to the internet and mobile technology at school may be withdrawn if I do not act responsibly. I understand that if my internet usage is revoked it may affect my ability to complete assessments and participate in learning activities.